Thursday, March 1, 2007

The First Week

As I have completed my first week of classes at the University of Auckland, I guess I have officially settled into my new home for the next year. I've dialed in my room, hung up a map of New Zealand and a random SlamUp of AI in a Nuggets uniform, bought things like plates and silverware for the first time in my life, and set up my computer with speakers. All the things a 22 year old would need in his small dorm.

This week beyond going to classes I introduced myself to a new organization that is attempting some new exciting programs for kids with basketball, Youthtown. I joined the coordinator and another player younger than me to coach at a youth camp for children with moderate to severe physical and learning disorders. I was excited just being in a gym and with kids who wanted to play some basketball. I had a great time, but one thing happened that I'm still thinking about. As the kids were playing this one kid ran the ball like 10 feet out of bounds so I called out, in order to keep the two teams on our court and not spilling into the court next to us. I got the ball and handed it to a player on the opposing team to begin play, when the kid that ran up came up to me and yelled at me, saying he was just trying to score. I tried to just encourage him to keep tryin to score and not be discouraged because this time he went out of bounds. After our brief exchange I didn't think about it again until he came up to me after all the games were over and apologized for yelling at me. It was one of the most genuine apologies I have ever recieved. This kid didn't need to apologize because I had already dismissed the incident, but yet he took it upon himself to apologize for getting caught in the heat of the moment and yelling. It struck me and I don't know if I even know its significance yet.

No comments: