Monday, March 26, 2007

Staying Busy with Basketball

Today I've started my third week at Strathalan School in Papakura. Its great to be able to work with the same group of kids over a sustained period, because of the relationship you can build with them. I've been amazed at how much they've been able to absorb. I started with just a jumpstop and now they are pivoting and protecting the ball, probably doesn't sound like a lot to the casual fan, but to help put it in perspective that skill set is something that kids in the US don't really get a grasp on until high school, at least I did not. The other thing that amazes me is how much they remember. I only work with a group for 30-45 minutes a week and then don't see them until the next week and I can jump in and ask them what is a jump stop, pivot or defensive stance and they'll immediately jump into it. A couple days ago some students from Freeman's Bay came in for an afterschool program at Youthtown and I found a group of 5 of them playing shaq says on there own time, it was a moment of recognition that a simple game I brought from a basketball camp at the University of La Verne to New Zealand is fun no matter where you do it.

On a leisurely note, I travelled to the Bay of Islands, where I went out on a sail boat around the islands and even squeezed in a round of golf in plain view of the Bay, very scenic. Anyone that thinks golf isn't a sport I challenge you to go out and play 18 holes and get at me the next day to let me know how you feel physically. Then we can debate. Thats it for now, stay tuned for some pictures.

No comments: