Sunday, March 11, 2007

Capitol City

I spent this weekend in Wellington, the capitol of New Zealand and have reached several conclusions, some more relevant than others.

First, museums are alright, just alright. It is great to be able to walk around and see objects, in a museum, but they seem so removed from their setting. For example today I saw a replica of a Maori canoe, but it was held up on a pedestal and tilted at an angle as if it was floating in the air like Peter Pan's ship. Despite the carvings on the canoe being worth a viewing, the canoe cannot come to life to me as a viewer unless I were to see it in action. I need to see the canoe in the water, or at least outside.

Second, there are some amazingly talented people in this world. It was the first time since college where I got to be held in the same room with exceptional students, with dreams, hopes and aspirations to change the world. I participated in an orientation for fellow Rotary Ambassadorial Scholars, and was awe struck by peoples projects that ranged from wave energy to teacher quality. I'd like to thank those involved in the weekend for making it a special place, a think tank of people networking to help facilitate eachothers experience while here in New Zealand and hopefully further beyond this short 9 month scholarship period.

Third, I have great ideas, do great things, and may even be a great person, but it is a constant struggle to make sure you put your best foot forward and not get lost along the way. The journey has always just begun, beginning constantly, never ends. The struggle is whats fun, may I never stop struggling. HOLLA

No comments: