Friday, May 11, 2007

Read This If You're White

My man simba takin his time once again to drop his knowledge upon us. Simba and Miles, first off let me mention that I miss stayin up and talkin about everything from Politics and Art.
Much of my education has been intellectualizing many of the issues brought up above and I basically bounce from an idealistically optimistic youn man who feels he can change the world to a pessimistic cynic who recognizes the systematic forces of white-supremacist-capitalist-hetero-sexist-patriarchy and more isms to be added.
I must admit during times of balanced thought I lean closer to the weight of the system being to great. In many ways the course of the world seems set, but let us not stop imagining actions or events that can change the course.
When I was in South Africa Simba provided me with the name of the father of the Black Conciousness movement Steve Biko, to this days his thoughts bounce around inside my head. I'd like to make a suggestion to those who find themselves in a similar subject posistion to myself that I have pulled from the thoughts of Biko.
Biko explains racism as a White Man's problem, but yet the problem places the burden upon those that it adversely effects. This type of set-up rings true for nearly all things. We live in a society that not only denies racism, but denies that they benefit from a system that has provided them with a privilege they have done nothing to earn. The only way to combat something like racism is raising a conciousness. Biko focused on Black people, attempting to create a positive representation of BLACK. I have realized that I have the attention of white conservatives, because of my ability to articulate myself on there level, therefore I have the ability to attack the system of racism, (i'd actually like to call it White supremacist- as it correctly points to the problem without hiding where the problem lies) by challenging those peoples views and giving them a framework for understanding privilege. I recognize that this idea has been one of the greatest lenses I have learned to look at the world with and know the power of it if you can give people that lens. It has the ability to raise conciousness. It has the ability to move the conversation of racism from the individuals where people argue that Tiger Woods and Denzel Washington are proof that racism doesn't exist, to looking at the systems of oppression that effect people collectively.
Only then can you point out to a person arguing that racism doesn't exist the historic legacy of country-clubs to deny access to blacks and women. Only then can you point out the stereotypical roles that black actors are forced to play time and time again.
In doing this you are challenging the system at the level where real change needs to occur.
One Love

No comments: