Friday, May 4, 2007

The F- the I- the J- the I- Its FIJI (hold up)

Ok real spit yo boi needed something to really wake me up and I think I found it in Fiji. I attended a Rotary Conference that was suprisingly alright, but it my trip really didnt begin till the day after the conference ended.

Well first I met my main man from Pomona College, Tremor class of '02, rotary ambassadorial scholar of '04 who spent the year of the scholarship and the last 3 years at the University of South Pacific doin really big thangs- like water projects to provide fresh clean water to different villages. PS- shot out to the next generation of Pomona College graduates '07, I know you guys are going to hit the real world real hard, best of luck and congratulations.

So after spending the conference at resort (which I really find problematic- people say they've been to fiji and never left the premises of the Sofitel Resort if you feel me on this or disagree wit me leave a comment and we can converse) I went to perhaps one of the wealthiest families in Fiji's home to traveling to Yusama Village a place more reflective of the "real" fiji. The word real is poor diction on my part as it brings into play all kinds of notions of authenticity that I really want to avoid. The drawing out that I would like to stress is that I din not find myself in a place entirely set up to cater to my every whim on the basis of my money or more identifiably my skin. In Yusama I was welcomed into a home, offered fruit and introduced to a beautiful two year old baby. It was an experience that I fail to capture in words, but leaves you in solitude as you are paralyzed by the realization of the privileges you've taken for granted, while simultaneously warmed by the ability of people to interact.

I was honored after my trip to Yusama to visit a 26 acre sugar cane farm, where I was greeted with the warmest hug, I've recieved since leaving my mothers arms at the airport. They cut me a piece of sugar cane, and invited me back to work the harvest, an invitation I hope I can take up, as I'm unsure if I'll be able to even last one day. I'm attempting to finish this post after the fact, and realizing that I cannot capture the feelings being removed somewhat from it. The memory is with me, but not in the manner in which I can convey with words. So I shall publish...

No comments: